Ukraine Pro-Russia rebel vote to go ahead

Pro-Russian activists in eastern Ukraine have decided to go ahead with a referendum on autonomy today, Sunday, despite a call from Russian President Vladimir Putin to postpone it.

The move was announced by separatist leaders after consulting supporters.

On Wednesday, Mr Putin called for a postponement to create the conditions necessary for dialogue.

Ukrainian authorities say they will disregard the results and that “anti-terror” operations will continue.

Millions of ballot papers have been prepared for the vote.

The decision to press ahead was announced by separatist leaders in the regions of Donetsk and Luhansk. The leader in Donetsk, Denis Pushilin, said it had been unanimous.

The suggestion to postpone the vote may have come “from a person who indeed cares for the people of the south-east,” he said, “but we are the bullhorn of the people”.

A spokesman for the Kremlin said there was “little information” and that it needed to further analyse the situation.

The BBC’s Richard Galpin in Donetsk says tensions are running high amid fears that a vote will exacerbate tensions and possibly plunge the country into a full-blown civil war.

Moscow has vowed to protect the rights of Ukraine’s Russian-speaking population against what it calls an undemocratic government in Kiev.

Ukrainian authorities have rejected activist demands for greater autonomy and troops have been battling to regain official buildings occupied by rebels in the east.

The European Union weighed in on Thursday, warning that “such a vote could have no democratic legitimacy and would only further worsen the situation”.

 

Read also Related Posts

Comments

comments

Leave A Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.