Connect with us

NATIONAL NEWS

Anambra corps members moved to Ebonyi, Imo

Published

on

corps members

[ad_1]

NAN

Prospective corps members who were supposed to do their national service in Anambra were moved to Ebonyi and Imo states due to lack of adequate camping facilities.

Mr Kehinde Aremu, Coordinator of the National Youths Service Corps (NYSC) in Anambra, made the disclosure during the closing of camp for 2018 Batch C orientation exercise in Umunya Temporary Orientation Camp on Monday.

Aremu said Anambra was the only state in the South-East geopolitical zone that did not have permanent orientation site.

He said the present site which was owned by the Anglican Church had become grossly inadequate considering the number of prospective corps members posted to the state.

READ ALSO: ‘South East marginalisation started with Gowon’s regime’

“Sadly, corps members deployed to Anambra will be holding their orientation course in Imo, earlier this year, Anambra corps members were dislodged to Ebonyi and Imo states.

“This is because Anambra is the only state in South-East of Nigeria without a permanent orientation camp.

“I wish to seize this opportunity to appeal to the vibrant private sector in Anambra to complement the efforts of the state government towards delivering the orientation camp in Umuawulu/Mbaukwu for 2019 Batch A,’’ he said.

Aremu said the posting of the corps members was guided by the scheme’s policy and requests from deserving employers which fitted into the human capital development strategy of the state government.

He said the corps members had been trained with fitness drill and entrepreneurial skills as well as the ways and culture of the people to enable them to contribute maximally to the communities they were posted for primary assignment.

He thanked Gov. Willie Obiano, the Anglican Church and other partnering agencies for their support and success of the orientation course.

In his speech, Obiano charged the corps members to answer the call to national service with every sense of seriousness and patriotism.

Obiano, represented by Prof. Solo Chukwulobelu, Secretary to Anambra Government, said they should abide by the electoral laws and refuse to be used by politicians as they participate in the 2019 general elections.

READ ALSO: I-G restates commitment of Nigeria Police Force to human rights protection

“You must emulate your predecessors who were unbiased umpires in previous elections, the nation repose a lot of confidence in you, you must not let her down,” he said.

Obiano assured Nigerians of the security and welfare of the corps members, adding that modalities were being worked out for a differential payment to those posted in rural and hard to reach areas.

The governor said the permanent orientation site would be ready before the end of the year to enable the next batch have their orientation course in the new site.

No fewer than 2,167 corps members were sworn in the state.

The post Anambra corps members moved to Ebonyi, Imo appeared first on The Sun Nigeria.

[ad_2]

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CATHOLIC WORLD

Killing of Christians: Buhari lied to Trump – CAN fumes

Published

on

Killing of Christians: Buhari lied to Trump - CAN fumes

The Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) has reacted to President Muhammadu Buhari’s revelation of his conversation with United States President, Donald Trump, on the massacre of Christians in Nigeria, saying President Buhari was economical with the truth.

President Buhari had on Tuesday, revealed that at the heat of the bloody clashes between herdsmen and farmers in Nigeria, the United States President, Donald Trump, unequivocally accused him of killing Christians.

Buhari said these in his closing remarks at the two-day ministerial performance review retreat held at the Presidential Villa, Abuja on Tuesday.

At a point, the President digressed from his prepared speech and narrated his encounter with Trump on the bloody clashes.

He said he managed to explain to the American leader that the clashes were not about ethnicity or religion.

He said, “I believe I was about the only African among the less developed countries the President of United States invited.

“When I was in his office, only myself and himself, only God is my witness, he looked at me in the face, and asked, ‘Why are you killing Christians?’

“I wonder, if you were the person, how you will react. I hope what I was feeling inside did not betray my emotion, so I told him that the problem between the cattle rearers and farmers, I know is older than me not to talk of him. I think I am a couple of years older than him.

“With climate change and population growth and the culture of the cattle rearers, if you have 50 cows and they eat grass, any root, to your water point, then they will follow it. It doesn’t matter whose farm it is.

“The First Republic set of leadership was the most responsible leadership we ever had. I asked the Minister of Agriculture to get a gazette of the early 60s which delineated the cattle route where they used meager resources then to put earth dams, wind mills even sanitary department.

“So, any cattle rearers that allowed his cattle to go to somebody’s farm would be arrested, taken before the court. The farmer would be called to submit his bill and if he couldn’t pay, the cattle would be sold, but subsequent leaders, the VVIPs (very important persons) encroached on the cattle routes. They took over the cattle rearing areas.

“So, I tried and explained to him (Trump) that this has got nothing to do with ethnicity or religion. It is a cultural thing.”

However, CAN’s Vice President and Chairman of the association in Kaduna State, John Hayab, was not impressed with Buhari’s submission, saying “Buhari and his government will never stop from amusing us with their tales by moonlight because what is happening in Zamfara, Sokoto, Katsina, Birnin Gwari, Southern Kaduna, Taraba, Plateau and others cannot be described as a cultural thing.

He told Punch correspondent in an interview: “President Buhari’s weak story about his conversation with President Donald Trump further confirms why his government does not care about the killings in our country by calling them cultural things.

“Just this (Tuesday) evening, I received a report from the Kaduna Baptist Conference President about the number of their members that have been killed by bandits in Kaduna State from January 2020 to date to be 105 and our President will call it a cultural thing? All we can say is may God save our Nigeria.”

Continue Reading

NATIONAL NEWS

CAMA: Bishop blasts Christian lawmakers

Published

on

CAMA: Bishop blasts Christian lawmakers

The Catholic Bishop of Nsukka, Most Rev. Godfrey Onah, has blamed Christians in the National Assembly (NASS), for the passage of the 2020 Companies and Allied Matters Bill (CAMA), signed into law by President Muhammadu Buhari recently.

Bishop Onah, said in a remark during the Sunday Mass that if Christians in NASS had opposed the bill, it would not have been passed into law.

President Muhammadu Buhari had on Aug. 7, signed the CAMA bill into law, giving provision for religious bodies and charity organizations to be regulated by the registrar of the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC), and a supervising minister.

“The question many Christians have been asking is, where were Christian legislators during the debate of this bill and its passage in the National Assembly?

“Because, if they had opposed this bill on the floor of the house, it would not have been passed and sent to the president for assent.

“I blame Christian legislators for doing nothing and allowing the passage of the 2020 CAMA Act,” he said.

“When I say that Christians are too divided and too selfish, don’t forget that the second in command in this country is a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, a professor of Law and a pastor.”

Onah, however, wondered what the Federal Government wanted to achieve in monitoring how the finances of churches in the country are managed when it contributed no dime to the church, NAN reports.

“Government should focus and monitor its ministries, agencies and other government institutions where it budgets billions of Naira annually and not church offerings.

“Had it been that the government gave allocations to churches and decided to monitor its usage, nobody will question the government,” he said.

Continue Reading

NATIONAL NEWS

Nigerians spit fire over fuel, electricity prices hike

Published

on

Increasing Fuel and Electricity Prices

Anger and condemnations, across the country, have continued to trail last week’s take off, of new increases in pump price of petroleum products and electricity tariffs, as directed by Federal Government.

Recall that the Petroleum Products Marketing Company (PPMC) official, D.O. Abalaka announced on Wednesday September 3, on behalf of Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) that the new price of petroleum is now N151.56k per litre instead of N149 – N150 per litre which it was previously.

The new electricity tariff which the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) tagged “Service Reflective Tariff” has also come into effect. It requires consumers to pay N53.87 – N66.422 per kwh of electricity.

Outraged consumers of fuel and electricity have therefore warned government to get ready for collision with the masses if it fails to rescind these new prices.

Those who have expressed outrage over the new prices regimes include, the Organized Labour, Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC), Nigerian main opposition political party, Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Nigeria Employers Consultative Association (NECA) and the Major Marketers Association of Nigeria (MOMAN).

Others are: Petroleum Products Retail Outlets Owners Association of Nigeria, the Independent Petroleum Marketers Association of Nigeria (IPMAN) and the Nigerian Association of Chambers of Commerce (NACCIMA).

The NLC said, “The frequent fuel price increase will no longer be accepted. We will not allow Nigerians fall victim of government ineptitude and negligence to make the country self-sufficient in terms of refining petroleum products at home.”

On its part, the PDP has described the price hike as “callous, cruel and punishing” and demanded an immediate reversal to avert a national crisis.

The All Industrial Global sees the incessant increase as a confirmation that deregulation means just price increase.

“This is unacceptable! Under a pandemic, we should put money in the pockets of citizens to revive collapsed livelihoods and preserve lives.” In its reaction, NECA said it has always urged Federal Government to adopt deregulation policy in the oil and gas downstream sector.

The MOMAN in its statement insists that monthly price variation of fuel was no longer sustainable. It urged PPRA to adopt quarterly price mechanism which would save the market the hassles of price volatility. The statements by IPMAN and NACCIMA also followed along the same line that the hike “…serves only to increase the severity and duration of the looming economic recession.”

Continue Reading

Trending