Connect with us

FOREIGN NEWS

China warns of spreading swine fever crisis. But will the pork reach Canada? – National

Published

on

[ad_1]

China is struggling to control the rapid spread of African swine fever among its pigs, which is becoming a massive blow to the world’s top pork producer.

The country produces almost 700 million pigs a year, or about half of the world’s total, and was Canada’s eighth-largest importer of pork in 2016.


READ MORE:
Alberta beef and pork producers hope new deal with China will pay big dividends

According to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA), the government has strict import controls in place that prevent the entry of animals from countries where there is a disease outbreak, including African swine fever.

“The CFIA has been closely monitoring the spread of African swine fever in China and certain parts of Europe,” a spokesperson told Global News.

“Canada does not import live pigs, pork or pork products and by-products originating from any country or zone that it does not officially recognize as free from ASF.”

Chinese authorities have announced strict new measures to deal with swine fever crisis, as it has now spread to 18 provinces and led to the culling of more than 200,000 pigs.

But on Friday, the country also dealt with another setback, after China’s agricultural ministry confirmed it had found the first case in a wild boar, deepening the three-month-old crisis.

WATCH: Edmonton businesses pull pork products as CFIA recall grows






The outbreak reached the southwest province of Sichuan, the country’s leading pig-herding region, raising the likelihood of a major impact on pork supplies in the coming months.

And on Sunday, a major Chinese animal feed maker said that feed produced by one of its units was suspected to have been contaminated with African swine fever, raising fears of its spread further across the country.

What is African swine fever?

African swine fever is a viral disease of pigs and wild boar. It is 100 per cent fatal to infected pigs. That’s because there is neither a vaccine or cure for the disease.

The disease is highly contagious and can spread rapidly through both direct and indirect contact with infected pigs or pig products, according to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA).

Is it harmful to humans?

Unlike swine flu, African swine fever poses no direct health threat to humans, according to the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations.

That’s because the disease only affects members of the pig family.

The CFIA does not consider it a food safety risk.

When was it first detected?

African swine fever was first detected in Asia last year, in an area of Siberia, according to the UN. It was first found in China in August.

Since the discovery, China has banned the transportation of live pigs and products from regions infected by African swine fever to control the spread of the highly contagious disease.


READ MORE:
Canadian shipment of pig feet flagged in China for banned drug

In October, the Chinese government also banned the feeding of kitchen waste to pigs after linking the widely-used practice to most early cases of the disease.

But the virus has continued to spread despite the government’s efforts, with more than 60 outbreaks in 18 provinces across the nation since early August.

A worker digs in a fermentation bed at an organic pig farm in Handan in northern China’s Hebei province.

Chinatopix via AP

On Wednesday the Ministries of Agriculture, Transportation and Public Security, issued a statement on the outbreak, blaming the spread of swine fever on the unhygienic vehicles transporting pigs.

In the statement, the government called for stricter inspections of all livestock transportation vehicles, and harsher punishments for the illegal transportation and slaughter of pigs.

The FAO warned the swine fever will not “almost certainly” spread to other Asian countries and that the disease is “here to stay.”

“Unfortunately, what we’re seeing so far is just the tip of the iceberg,” Juan Lubroth, FAO’s chief veterinary officer, said in a statement.

WATCH: Alberta pork recall after E. coli contamination concerns






“The geographical spread, of which ASF has been repeated in such a short period of time, means that transboundary emergence of the virus, likely through movements of products containing infected pork, will almost certainly occur.”

Although China blames the spread of the disease on unhygienic vehicles transporting pigs, FAO said it probably travels through processed or raw pork products and less likely through the movement of live animals.

“The virus is very robust and can survive for weeks or months when it is used in cured or salted pork or when it is used in animal feed or swill,” Lubroth said.

© 2018 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.



[ad_2]

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FOREIGN NEWS

Catholic Bishops react to military coup in Mali

Published

on

Catholic Bishops react to military coup in Mali

Contrary to the expectations of the people, the leadership of the Episcopal Conference of Mali (CEM) has termed the Tuesday, August 18 military coup in the West African nation as “regrettable” and “a big failure for our democracy” and called for a change of mentality if the country has to put an end to coups.

In an interview with ACI Africa Wednesday, August 19, made available to RECOWACERAO NEWS AGENCY, RECONA, the President of CEM, Bishop Jonas Dembélé said that the governance challenges the country is facing can be managed through dialogue.

“The military coup that led to the ousting of President Ibrahim Boubacar Keïta is regrettable because we are in a state of law and democracy. This is the second time that Mali has had a military coup as a result of the way in which the country is governed. It is a big failure for our democracy even if there were reasons for it,” Bishop Dembélé told ACI Africa.

“It is true that our country has serious challenges including bad governance, the poor management of the economy, corruption, insecurity and so on,” Bishop Dembélé said and probed, “Why is it that we Malians have not managed to engage in dialogue to be able to discuss these problems and face up to these challenges responsibly?”

“Our leaders, our people lack transparency, they hate those who speak the truth and advocate for good governance. This mentality must change for our country to move on,” the Prelate told ACI Africa August 19.

Bishop Dembélé who is a frontline member of RECOWA-CERAO urged the military officials “to ensure a return to democracy as promised but most especially ensuring the new leadership of the country put the people first and tackle the security challenges facing the nation.”

Asked about the role of the Church in the current crisis, the 57-year-old Prelate noted, “For us the Catholic Church in Mali, our role is to preach peace; our role is to preach dialogue. We shall continue in this path of dialogue for peace just like Cardinal Jean Zerbo and some religious leaders initiated.”

“In a state of law, power is not in the hands of certain individuals but to the people. The anger of our people led to this crisis, but we must work for peace and reconciliation in Mali,” Bishop Dembélé said.

He continued in recollections, “The Bishops in Mali have always issued messages before every election in our country sounding the alert and inviting the government to organize transparent elections, ensure good governance and better management of resources.”
“But it seems our messages are never taken into consideration that is why we find ourselves in this situation today,” the Local Ordinary of Kayes Diocese told ACI Africa and added, “If the opinion of the Episcopal Conference of Mali is needed to mediate in bringing back stability and peace in the country, then we are ready.”

As a way forward, the Bishop urged the people of God in Mali to “seek the path to conversion” and to accept dialogue in the spirit of truth and honesty.
“We all want change in our

country, but this change can only be possible if individually we seek the path to conversion. It is for Malians be they Muslims or Christians or members of traditional religion, to do an examination of conscience and accept personal and community conversion in order to engage in sincere dialogue,” he said.

The Malian Prelate added, “Now there is this coup d’état to demand change we really wonder where change should come from. As long as we don’t change our behavior, our mentality, we will always have a repeat of the current situation.”

On Tuesday, August 18, President Keita announced his resignation and dissolved parliament hours after mutinying soldiers detained him at gunpoint, Aljazeera reported.
“For seven years, I have with great joy and happiness tried to put this country on its feet. If today some people from the armed forces have decided to end it by their intervention, do I have a choice? I should submit to it because I do not want any blood to be shed,” President Keita said August 18 during the televised address to the nation.

Rev. Fr. George Nwachukwu
RECOWACERAO NEWS AGENCY, RECONA

Continue Reading

FOREIGN NEWS

Harris accepts VP nomination

Published

on

Harris accepts VP nomination

Senator Kamala Harris formally accepted the Democratic nomination for vice president on Wednesday following a scathing speech by former President Barack Obama, who said the fate of the nation” depends entirely on the outcome of this election.”

Both Mr. Obama and Harris stressed the importance of voting, with Harris saying “we’re all in this fight together.” Harris sounded an optimistic note by highlighting her personal history and the promise of America, saying she was “so inspired by a new generation.”

“Make no mistake, the road ahead will not be not easy,” she said. “We will stumble. We may fall short. But I pledge to you that we will act boldly and deal with our challenges honestly. We will speak truths. And we will act with the same faith in you that we ask you to place in us.” She called Mr. Trump a “predator” in a speech that came after Mr. Obama issued his most forceful rebuke of his successor to date, saying Mr. Trump “hasn’t grown into the job because he can’t.”

“This president and those in power — those who benefit from keeping things the way they are — they are counting on your cynicism,” Mr. Obama said. “They know they can’t win you over with their policies. So they’re hoping to make it as hard as possible for you to vote, and to convince you that your vote doesn’t matter.

That’s how they win. That’s how they get to keep making decisions that affect your life, and the lives of the people you love. That’s how the economy will keep getting skewed to the wealthy and well-connected, how our health systems will let more people fall through the cracks. That’s how a democracy withers, until it’s no democracy at all.”

Mr. Obama and Hillary Clinton, speaking earlier in the night, both said they had hoped Mr. Trump would rise to the occasion. But they both stressed what they called his failures while in office, with Mr. Obama saying Mr. Trump has shown “no interest in treating the presidency as anything but one more reality show that he can use to get the attention he craves.”

Continue Reading

FOREIGN NEWS

Mali coup leaders vow to hold elections as history repeats itself

Published

on

Mali coup leaders vow to hold elections as history repeats itself

The Malian soldiers who forced President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita to resign in a coup promised early Wednesday to organize new elections after their takeover was swiftly condemned by the international community.

In a statement carried overnight on state broadcaster ORTM, the mutinous soldiers who staged Tuesday’s military coup identified themselves as the National Committee for the Salvation of the People led by Colonel Major Ismael Wagué.

“With you, standing as one, we can restore this country to its former greatness,” Wagué said, announcing that borders were closed and that a curfew was going into effect from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m

The news of Keita’s departure was met with jubilation by anti-government demonstrators in the capital, Bamako, and alarm by former colonial ruler France and other allies and foreign nations.

The U.N. Security Council scheduled a closed meeting Wednesday August 19, 2020 afternoon to discuss the unfolding situation in Mali, where the U.N. has a 15,600-strong peacekeeping mission. Keita, who was democratically elected in a 2013 landslide and re-elected five years later, still had three years left in his term.

But his popularity had plummeted, and demonstrators began taking to the streets calling for his ouster in June.

West African regional bloc ECOWAS had sent mediators to try and negotiate a unity government but those talks fell apart when it became clear that the protesters would not accept less than Keita’s resignation.

Continue Reading

Trending