COMMUNIQUE ISSUED BY IMO STATE ADVISORY COUNCIL OF ELDERS IN A MEETING HELD IN OWERRI IMO STATE ON THE 25TH FEBRUARY, 2019
– The Imo State Advisory Council of Elders is made up of Elders from the three Zones of Imo State namely: Owerri Council of Elders, Okigwe Council of Elders and Orlu Council of Elders.
– Hitherto these councils were operating separately in the interest of their Zones to the neglect of the collective development of Imo State.
– These councils by providence met on Monday 25th February 2019 at Owerri and decided to take a broader view of the situation of Imo State.
After due deliberation, the Council came up with the following communiqué:
1. We are desirous and determined to work in synergy for the Peace, Stability, Development and Good Governance of Imo State.
2. In recognition that the time has come in the management of the affairs of Imo State, where the wisdom of old-age should blend with the strength and vitality of the youth to check the drift in our societal values and Governance.
3. The absence of the above has created political rascality and irresponsible Government, lack of respect for the Rule of Law and the traditional institution, moral and educational deterioration; all of which our beloved state, Imo State was not known for.
4. By reason of the foregoing; criminality has become prevalent and basic infrastructure and healthcare are near primitive standards.
5. Cognizant of the benefits of good governance, justice, equity and good conscience, Council is of the strong opinion that the issue of ROTATION of elective political offices (particularly the office of the Governor of Imo State) must be strictly adhered to; commencing now with Owerri zone being given the opportunity to produce the Governor of Imo State come 9th March 2019.
6. The Council has consulted, interviewed and evaluated candidates from different registered political parties and their respective manifestos, and has therefore, humbly and jointly resolved as follows:
(I) That the manifesto presented by the candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Rt. Hon. Chukwuemeka Nkem Ihedioha CON, KSC, in the opinion of the Council, best satisfies the aspirations of Imo State.
(ii) To endorse and adopt Rt. Hon. Chukwuemeka Nkem Ihedioha CON, KSC, of the Peoples Democratic Party as the candidate of choice for Imo State to be voted for at the Governorship Election on 9th March 2019.
(iii) That the good people of Imo State should come out en-masse and vote for Rt. Hon. Chukwuemeka Nkem Ihedioha of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) on Saturday, the 9th day of March, 2019.
(iv) That all Imolites should endeavor to protect the integrity of the electoral process against miscreants.
Finally, we the members of this Council drawn from the three Zones of Imo State, individually and collectively append our signatures as evidence of our agreement to the resolutions of this communiqué: