Connect with us

SPORTS

Real Madrid vs Real Betis: Zidane threatens to quit again after clashing with board

Published

on

Leganes vs Real Madrid: Zidane’s La Liga starting XI revealed [Full list]

[ad_1]

Real Madrid manager, Zinedine Zidane, has made it clear he will quit the club again, if he is not in control of team’s matters.

Zidane Stated this while responding to reports, that Keylor Navas will look for a new club in the summer, after being told he will play second fiddle to Thibaut Courtois next season.

Goal reports that Madrid’s hierarchy is keen to install Courtois as their undisputed No.1.

On Saturday, Zidane did confirm that he has spoken to 32-year-old Navas, but refused to shed any light on what was discussed.

“Could it be Keylor’s last game? I don’t think so, nor do I want to think about next season either.

“There are many rumours about what’s going to happen but I’m not going to say anything. Nobody knows what I said to Keylor except him and me.

“I will be clear about who will play when the next season starts. It’s my decision. Who do you think is in charge of this team? It’s clear as water: I’m the coach, I will always do what I want and if I can’t then I’ll quit. That’s clear.

“With the transfer issues, there are people here at the club and we all work together. But the team, choosing the line-up, the bench, the squad… that’s me and my staff.

“[Antoine] Griezmann to Real Madrid? I’m not going to talk about that. [Luka] Jovic to Real? I’m not going to talk about that either. Isco’s future? I’m not going to say anything.

“Are there no questions about the game tomorrow?” Zidane fired back.

The Frenchman only returned to the Santiago Bernabeu this year, after leaving following their third consecutive Champions League title.



[ad_2]

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

SPORTS

Buhari appoints Amokachi as SA on sports

Published

on

Buhari appoints Amokachi as SA on sports

Former Super Eagles player and Nigerian Football Ambassador, Daniel Amokachi, has been appointed as Special Assistant on Sports to President Muhammadu Buhari.

“I am pleased to inform you that Muhammadu Buhari, President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria has approved your appointment as Special Assistant on Sports,” the appointment letter dated August 17, 2020, and signed by the Secretary to the Government of the Federation Mr. Boss Mustapha, reads in part.

As special assistant on sports, Amokachi is expected to advise the President on all sports matters.

The former Everton of England forward, who was earlier in the year named Nigeria’s Football Ambassador, is expected to mentor youngsters and promote the game at the grassroots.

Nicknamed “The Bull”, Amokachi began his career in Kaduna with Ranchers Bees Football Club of Kaduna, played for Club Brugge of Belgium, Besiktas of Turkey, Everton of England and Colorado Rapids.

He played in two World Cup finals, USA 1994 and France 1998. He was a member of Nigeria’s 1994 African Cup of Nations winning team and won the 2013 edition in South Africa as assistant to the late Coach Stephen Keshi.

Amockachi also won Gold with team Nigeria in the Football event of the Atlanta 1996 Olympics.

Continue Reading

SPORTS

Tennis: Djokovic confirms US Open participation

Published

on

Tennis: Djokovic confirms US Open participation

Novak Djokovic confirmed on Thursday he will play at the US Open, ending speculation about his presence at the first Grand Slam tournament since the season restarted following the coronavirus-enforced shutdown.

“I’m happy to confirm that I’ll participate at #CincyTennis and #USOpen this year,” the 33-year-old world number one tweeted.

“It was not an easy decision to make with all the obstacles and challenges on many sides, but the prospect of competing again makes me really excited,” added the 17-time Grand Slam champion.

The US Open gets underway behind closed doors in New York on Monday August 31, with Djokovic arriving in the United States on Saturday to tune up in the Western and Southern Open, which is normally played in Cincinnati but has been moved to New York this year.

His decision to take part is a major boost for the US Open after a host of headline names pulled out.

Djokovic makes his competitive return after being heavily criticized for hosting a charity tennis event in the Balkans in June at which he and a raft of players tested positive for COVID-19.

Continue Reading

SPORTS

Sam Okwaraji: NFF begins process to retire Eagles No.6 jersey

Published

on

Sam Okwaraji: NFF begins process to retire Eagles No.6 jersey

The Nigerian Football Federation (NFF) is pondering a move to retire the Super Eagles No.6 jersey previously worn by the late Sam Okwaraji, The PUNCH reports.

NFF President Amaju Pinnick made this known during an interview on a radio programme Sports Salsa, which was aired on Kennis 104.1 FM on Wednesday.

Okwaraji died of congestive heart failure minutes after he slumped during a 1990 World Cup qualifier between Nigeria and Angola on August 12, 1989, inside the main-bowl of the National Stadium, Lagos.

The game ended 1-0 in favour of the Eagles.

“Someone made a proposal about retiring the jersey (No.6) at the start of the year and I think it is not too much for us to do that,” Pinnick said.

“I will forward the proposal to the executive committee for implementation because it has been said already. So, we will see how we can retire that shirt in honour of a great patriot (Samuel) Okwaraji.

“His (Okwaraji) death was very tragic because he was a player who showed dexterity, professionalism and maturity each time he played for the Eagles.”

Continue Reading

Trending